* Tom Lane (t...@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> Vladimir Rusinov <vrusi...@google.com> writes:
> > Therefore, I propose this patch.
>
> Right now is a really bad time to do that; what it will mostly accomplish
> is to break back-patching of doc fixes for little benefit.
>
> There is work afoot to convert the documentation to xml.  If that
> succeeds, it'd make sense to strip trailing spaces (and start enforcing
> that in .gitattributes) when we do that, since it'll be a back-patch
> breakpoint anyway.  But right now the PITA factor outweighs the benefit.

Almost all of that patch was just removing the whitespace from examples
where the actual commands used produced output with trailing whitespace.

I'm not entirely sure we want to change those cases given that's what we
do, in fact, produce as output.  In other words, the trailing whitespace
there isn't just because someone mistakenly included it.

If we do want to change that, perhaps we should also change psql to not
output the trailing whitespace in the first place..?

Thanks!

Stephen