On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 02:32:36PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> 3. It's pretty hard to see how you'd reach any of these places for an
> ALTER COLUMN TYPE on a simple table.  Has the table got rules, triggers,
> default values?  Could we see "\d+" output for it?

I really meant to do \d+..

                                       Table
"public.eric_umts_rnc_utrancell_metrics"
                   Column                    |           Type           |
Modifiers | Storage  | Stats target | Description
---------------------------------------------+--------------------------+-----------+----------+--------------+-------------
 sect_id                                     | integer                  | not
null  | plain    | 400          |
 start_time                                  | timestamp with time zone | not
null  | plain    | 400          |
 site_id                                     | integer                  | not
null  | plain    | 400          |
 interval_seconds                            | smallint                 | not
null  | plain    | 200          |
 utrancell                                   | text                     | not
null  | extended | 200          |
 nedn                                        | text                     | not
null  | extended | 200          |
 rnc_id                                      | integer                  | not
null  | plain    | 400          |
 device_id                                   | integer                  | not
null  | plain    | 200          |
 pmcelldowntimeauto                          | smallint                 |
    | plain    | 10           |
 pmcelldowntimeman                           | smallint                 |
    | plain    | 10           |
[...]

Justin