On 01/05/2017 08:27 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> There's also the question of whether opening up the ability to do
> this sort of thing from the SQL level is a security hazard,

It unquestionably is.

> but we've already gone fairly far down the path of assuming that
> there's not a tremendous amount of privilege separation between the
> operating system user account and the database superuser,

I think this is a very bad assumption.

> so maybe the answer is that as things stand it's not expanding the
> vulnerability surface very much.

Perhaps as things currently stand this is true.

> One thing I'm kind of happy about is that, as far as I can see, there
> hasn't been much backlash against the existing ALTER SYSTEM, either
> from a security point of view or a user-confusion point of view.

Possibly only because there are workarounds possible using hooks and
extension code. Personally I think we should have an official way to
disable ALTER SYSTEM and I would like the same for pg_hba.conf related
functionality.

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com