On 12/31/16 1:34 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Peter Eisentraut
<peter.eisentr...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Here is a patch to add 'use strict' to all Perl programs (that I could
find), or move it to the right place where it was already there.  I
think that is a pretty standard thing to do nowadays.

committed that

What about adding as well "use warnings"? That's standard in all the TAP tests.

'use strict' can be statically checked using perl -c, but 'use warnings'
is run-time behavior, so one would have to extensively test the involved
programs.  Some cursory checking already reveals that this is going to
need to more investigation.  So in principle yes, but maybe later.

With regard to warnings, I prefer to use:

use warnings FATAL => qw(all);

This transforms all warnings into errors rather than just printing a message to stderr, which is very easy to miss among the other output.

--
-David
da...@pgmasters.net