On 1/7/17 12:41 PM, Joel Jacobson wrote:
On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 3:25 AM, Greg Stark <st...@mit.edu> wrote:
What users need to know is in aggregate how much of the time the
database is spending working on their queries is going into different
states.

This is a separate feature idea, but I think it's really valuable as well.

Maybe something similar to pg_stat_user_functions?
But instead grouping by wait_event_type, wait_event, and showing
accumulated count and sum of waiting time since last stat reset, just
like the other pg_stat_* views?

Maybe something like this?

\d pg_stat_waiting
 View "pg_catalog.pg_stat_waiting"
   Column        |       Type       | Modifiers
 wait_event_type | name             |
 wait_event      | name             |
 waiting_counter | bigint           |
 waiting_time    | double precision |

Yes, I've wanted this many times in the past. If combined with Robert's idea of a background process that does the expensive time calls this could potentially provide very useful information for even very short duration locks.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)