Hi

> Ok, so activity on this thread has died down. I'm not sure if that's
> consensus or exhaustion.

the original idea \quit_if is leaved? It is pity - it is common use case -
and because we cannot to implement macros in psql, then can be very useful

> Are we good with:
> - implementing basic \if EXPR \elseif EXPR \else \endif, where the EXPR is
> an expression but is currently limited to a simple string that will be
> evaluated for truth via ParseVariableBool()?

+1

> - moving beyond trivial expressions in a later commit?

the expressions are in nice to have category - there can be a logic

 if there is only a variable, check the variable; else eval on server and
check the result.

> - leaving loops out for now?

+1

Regards