"Ferindo Middleton Jr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm running Redhat Linux 8. I have registration to the Redhat
> Network so I'm probably running the latest version of postgresql
> available. I also have Redhat Databse v2.1 installed, but whenever I
> try to start a session, I get the following error message:
>
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> Please help me configure my system so that I can connect and begin to use
> postgresql.

Have you checked to see if it is actually running?  I rather expect
that it isn't.

I think RHAT distributes GUIfied tools to manage services started via
init.d, so that even if you are afraid of Unix, you should be able to
see what it's doing.

And it's quite unlikely that RHAT has packaged the very latest
version; the fact that they are numbering things independently is
quite irritating as it makes it more difficult to ascertain what
version it actually is.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@acm.org")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/rdbms.html