On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 5:54 AM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 12:58 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, I understand that point and I can see there is strong argument
>> to do that way, but let's wait and see what others including Robert
>> have to say about this point.
>
> It seems to me that you can make an argument for any point of view.
> In a parallel sequential scan, the smallest unit of work that can be
> given to one worker is one heap page; in a parallel index scan, it's
> one index page.  By that logic, as Rahila says, we ought to do this
> based on the number of index pages.  On the other hand, it's weird to
> use the same GUC to measure index pages at some times and heap pages
> at other times, and it could result in failing to engage parallelism
> where we really should do so, or using an excessively small number of
> workers.  An index scan that hits 25 index pages could hit 1000 heap
> pages; if it's OK to use a parallel sequential scan for a table with
> 1000 heap pages, why is it not OK to use a parallel index scan to scan
> 1000 heap pages?  I can't think of any reason.

I think one difference is that if we want to scan 1000 heap pages with
parallel index scan, scanning index cost is additional as compare to
parallel sequential scan.

> On balance, I'm somewhat inclined to think that we ought to base
> everything on heap pages, so that we're always measuring in the same
> units.  That's what Dilip's patch for parallel bitmap heap scan does,
> and I think it's a reasonable choice.  However, for parallel index
> scan, we might want to also cap the number of workers to, say,
> index_pages/10, just so we don't pick an index scan that's going to
> result in a very lopsided work distribution.

I guess in the above context you mean heap_pages or index_pages that
are expected to be *fetched* during index scan.

Yet another thought is that for parallel index scan we use
index_pages_fetched, but use either a different GUC
(min_parallel_index_rel_size) with a relatively lower default value
(say equal to min_parallel_relation_size/4 = 2MB) or directly use
min_parallel_relation_size/4 for parallel index scans.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.