On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think UInt32GetDatum(metad->hashm_procid) looks fine, the reason
>> being 'hashm_procid' is defined as 32-bit unsigned integer but then we
>> may have to define procid as int8 in SQL function.
>
> No, you're wrong.  The GetDatum you choose macro has to match the SQL
> type, not the type of the variable that you're passing to it.  For
> example, if you've got an "int" in the code and the SQL type is
> "int8", you have to use Int64GetDatum, not Int32GetDatum.  Otherwise,
> stuff breaks, because on some systems 64-bit integers are passed by
> reference, not by value, so the representation that Int32GetDatum
> produces isn't valid when interpreted by DatumGetInt64 later on.  The
> latter is expecting a pointer, but the former didn't produce one.

Thank you very much for detailed information and explanation. It is
really very helpful and understandable. But, As per your explanation,
GetDatum we choose need to match the SQL type, not the type of the
variable used in code and I do not see any unsigned integer SQL type
in PostgreSQL then I am just wondering on why do we have
UInt32GetDatum or UInt64GetDatum macros.