+Vladimir

On 27 February 2017 at 11:36, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:

> On 2017-02-27 16:23:46 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 7:03 AM, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de>
> wrote:
> specify

> > > Hm - I'm not sure that's a good idea. service files are a libpq
> feature,
> > > but connection strings are a bit more universal than just libpq...
> > >

> > That same argument applies to PGPASSFILE, does it not?
>
> It does.  I'm not really convinced it's a good idea to have that as a
> full blown parameter, but as you say:
>
> > Properly implementing PGSERVICEFILE is more complicated though -- as it
> > requires LDAP support to go there the whole way for example.
>

> > But it might not hurt to encourage other drivers (such as jdbc) to
> > support at least the basic format of pgpass.
>
> Probably makes sense to bring in some of the external driver authors
> (jdbc, npgsql CCed).
>
> Currently PGPASS is in the users home directory Many JDBC applications are
in much larger apps such as tomcat, etal
this concept is a bit foreign to JDBC. That being said I don't think it's
difficult to implement. Just somewhat harder to specify
for us. psql is rather limited being a command line app which is *usually*
evoked directly from the command line.

Dave Cramer

da...@postgresintl.com
www.postgresintl.com