On 07/03/17 02:46, Amit Kapila wrote:
On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 6:49 PM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 6:33 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:

I was going to do it after index and index-only scans and parallel
bitmap heap scan were committed, but I've been holding off on
committing parallel bitmap heap scan waiting for Andres to fix the
simplehash regressions, so maybe I should just go do an update now and
another one later once that goes in.

As you wish, but one point to note is that as of now parallelism for
index scans can be influenced by table level parameter
parallel_workers.  It sounds slightly awkward, but if we want to keep
that way, then maybe we can update the docs to indicate the same.
Another option is to have a separate parameter for index scans.

My immediate gut feeling was to have separate parameters.

On thinking about it, I think they serve different use cases. I don't think of workers when I think of Index scans, and I suspect I'd find more reasons to keep them separate if I looked deeper.

Cheers,
Gavin