On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 09:18:33PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> Given that swap space is cheap, and that killing random processes is
> obviously bad, it's not apparent to me why people think this is not
> a good approach --- at least for high-reliability servers.  And Linux
> would definitely like to think of itself as a server-grade OS.

Well, it was a toy OS when conceived, that's for sure.  But it's getting
better.

> Considering the frequency with which we hear of database backends
> getting shot in the head, I'd say those heuristics need lots of work
> yet.

Previous versions were said to attempt to kill init.  You have to admit
there has been some progress.

But then there's the problem of people running database servers on
misconfigured machines.  They should know better than not setting enough
swap space, IMHO anyway.

Y una voz del caos me hablo y me dijo
"Sonrie y se feliz, podria ser peor".
Y sonrei. Y fui feliz.