Thanks Robert, I have tried to fix the comments given as below. On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 9:19 PM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote: > I think that the macros in hash.h need some more work: > > - Pretty much any time you use the argument of a macro, you need to > parenthesize it in the macro definition to avoid surprises if the > macros is called using an expression. That isn't done consistently > here.
--I have tried to fix same in the latest patch. > - The macros make extensive use of magic numbers like 1, 2, and 3. I > suggest something like: > > #define SPLITPOINT_PHASE_BITS 2 > #define SPLITPOINT_PHASES_PER_GROUP (1 << SPLITPOINT_PHASE_BITS) > > And then use SPLITPOINT_PHASE_BITS any place where you're currently > saying 2. The reference to 3 is really SPLITPOINT_PHASE_BITS + 1. -- Taken modified same in the latest patch. > - Many of these macros are only used in one place. Maybe just move > the computation to that place and get rid of the macro. For example, > _hash_spareindex() could be written like this: > > if (splitpoint_group < SPLITPOINT_GROUPS_WITH_ONLY_ONE_PHASE) > return splitpoint_group; > > /* account for single-phase groups */ > splitpoint = SPLITPOINT_GROUPS_WITH_ONLY_ONE_PHASE; > > /* account for completed groups */ > splitpoint += (splitpoint_group - > SPLITPOINT_GROUPS_WITH_ONLY_ONE_PHASE) << SPLITPOINT_PHASE_BITS; > > /* account for phases within current group */ > splitpoint += (bucket_num >> (SPLITPOINT_PHASE_BITS + 1)) & > SPLITPOINT_PHASE_MASK; > > return splitpoint; > > That eliminates the only use of two complicated macros and is in my > opinion more clear than what you've currently got. -- Taken, also rewrote _hash_get_totalbuckets in similar lines. With that, we will end up with only 2 macros which have some computing code +/* defines max number of splitpoit phases a hash index can have */ +#define HASH_MAX_SPLITPOINT_GROUP 32 +#define HASH_MAX_SPLITPOINTS \ + (((HASH_MAX_SPLITPOINT_GROUP - HASH_SPLITPOINT_GROUPS_WITH_ONE_PHASE) * \ + HASH_SPLITPOINT_PHASES_PER_GRP) + \ + HASH_SPLITPOINT_GROUPS_WITH_ONE_PHASE) + +/* given a splitpoint phase get its group */ +#define HASH_SPLITPOINT_PHASE_TO_SPLITPOINT_GRP(sp_phase) \ + (((sp_phase) < HASH_SPLITPOINT_GROUPS_WITH_ONE_PHASE) ? \ + (sp_phase) : \ + ((((sp_phase) - HASH_SPLITPOINT_GROUPS_WITH_ONE_PHASE) >> \ + HASH_SPLITPOINT_PHASE_BITS) + \ + HASH_SPLITPOINT_GROUPS_WITH_ONE_PHASE)) > - Some of these macros lack clear comments explaining their purpose. -- I have written some comments to explain the use of the macros. > - Some of them don't include HASH anywhere in the name, which is > essential for a header that may easily be included by non-hash index > code. -- Fixed, all MACROS are prefixed with HASH > - The names don't all follow a consistent format. Maybe that's too > much to hope for at some level, but I think they could be more > consistent than they are. -- Fixed, apart from old HASH_MAX_SPLITPOINTS rest all have a prefix HASH_SPLITPOINT. -- Thanks and Regards Mithun C Y EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
Description: Binary data
-- Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (email@example.com) To make changes to your subscription: http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers