On Friday 13 June 2003 11:55, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Regrettably, few of the GUI installers for Linux (SuSE or Red Hat, for
> example), include adequate swap space in their "suggested" disk formatting.
> Some versions of some distributions do not create a swap partition at all;
> others allocate only 130mb to this partition regardless of actual RAM.

Incidentally, Red Hat as of about 7.0 began insisting on swap space at least
as large as twice RAM size.  In my case on my 512MB RAM notebook, that meant
it wanted 1GB swap.  If you upgrade your RAM you could get into trouble.  In
that case, you create a swap file on one of your other partitions that the
kernel can use.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

TIP 9: most folks find a random_page_cost between 1 or 2 is ideal