On 4/5/17 21:32, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> At Wed, 5 Apr 2017 11:33:51 -0400, Peter Eisentraut
> <peter.eisentr...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote in
> <5401fef6-c0c0-7e8a-d8b1-169e30cbd...@2ndquadrant.com>
>> After further thinking, I prefer the alternative approach of using
>> pq_sendcountedtext() as is and sticking the trailing zero byte on on the
>> receiving side.  This is a more localized change, and keeps the logical
>> replication protocol consistent with the main FE/BE protocol.  (Also, we
>> don't need to send a useless byte around.)
>
> I'm not sure about the significance of the trailing zero in the
> the logical replication protocol.

It doesn't matter.  It could be "nice" to have it because then the
receiving side doesn't need to add it if it wants to assemble a C
string.  But for the reasons above, it doesn't seem worth doing that.

> walreceiver stops on the opposite side with the following
> complaint.
>
>> ERROR:  could not receive data from WAL stream: ERROR:  character with byte
>> sequence 0xe6 0xbc 0xa2 in encoding "UTF8" has no equivalent in encoding
>> "LATIN1"
>> CONTEXT:  COPY t, line 1: ""
>> LOG:  worker process: logical replication worker for subscription 16391 sync
>> 16384 (PID 26915) exited with exit code 1
>
> After this, walreceiver repeats reconnecting to master with no
> wait. Maybe walreceiver had better refrain from reconnection
> after certain kinds of faiure but it is not an urgent issue.

This is controlled by wal_retrieve_retry_interval.

I see what you are saying about treating certain errors as potentially
permanent, but I think a lot more work would need to be done to be able
to manage that.