On 4/6/17 9:04 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2017-04-06 09:14:43 -0700, Jim Nasby wrote:
On 4/6/17 03:50, Craig Ringer wrote:
But otherwise, pending docs changes, I think it's ready for committer.

My opinion is still that this is ultimately the wrong approach.  The
right fix for performance issues in PL/Python is to change PL/Python not
to materialize the list of tuples.  Now with this change we would be
moving from two result materializations to one, but I think we are
keeping the wrong one.

That's an option for future improvement, but I see no way to accomplish that
without completely breaking plpy.

Why?  We could very well return a somewhat "smarter" object. Returning
rows row-by-row if accessed via iterator, materializes when accessed via
row offset.

I completely agree with that. What I don't understand is the objection to speeding up the old access method. Or are you thinking we'd just abandon the old method?
--
Jim Nasby, Chief Data Architect, Austin TX
OpenSCG                 http://OpenSCG.com