On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 9:58 PM, Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.ba...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Then the question is why not to allow savepoints as well? For that we
> have to fix transaction block state machine.

I agree with this argument. I have been looking at the patch, and what
it does is definitely incorrect. Any query string including multiple
queries sent to the server is executed as a single transaction. So,
while the current behavior of the server is definitely incorrect for
savepoints in this case, the proposed patch does not fix anything but
actually makes things worse. I think that instead of failing,
savepoints should be able to work properly. As you say cursors are
handled correctly, savepoints should fall under the same rules.
--
Michael