On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 12:06 AM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki <
tsunakawa.ta...@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> From: pgsql-hackers-ow...@postgresql.org
> > [mailto:pgsql-hackers-ow...@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Robert Haas
> > Who is right is a judgement call, but I don't think it's self-evident
> that
> > users want to ignore anything and everything that might have gone wrong
> > with the connection to the first server, rather than only those things
> which
> > resemble a down server.  It seems quite possible to me that if we had
> defined
> > it as you are proposing, somebody would now be arguing for a behavior
> change
> > in the other direction.
>
> Judgment call... so, I understood that it's a matter of choosing between
> helping to detect configuration errors early or service continuity.

​This is how I've been reading this thread and I'm tending to agree with
prioritizing service continuity ​over configuration error detection.  As a
client if I have an alternative that ends up working I don't really care
whose fault it is that the earlier options weren't.  I don't have enough
experience to think up plausible scenarios here but I'm sold on the theory.

David J.