Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> writes:
> On 2017-06-27 14:59:18 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> However, it's certainly arguable that this is too much change for an
>> optional post-beta patch.

> Yea, I think there's a valid case to be made for that. I'm still
> inclined to go along with this, it seems we're otherwise just adding
> complexity we're going to remove in a bit again.

I'm not hearing anyone speaking against doing this now, so I'm going
to go ahead with it.

> The 8-space thing in multiple places is a bit ugly.  How about having a
> a bunch of constants declared in one place?

While looking this over again, I got worried about the fact that pg_ctl
is #including "miscadmin.h".  That's a pretty low-level backend header
and it wouldn't be surprising at all if somebody tried to put stuff in
it that wouldn't compile frontend-side.  I think we should take the
opportunity, as long as we're touching this stuff, to split the #defines
that describe the contents of postmaster.pid into a separate header file.
Maybe "utils/pidfile.h" ?