On 4 July 2017 at 14:48, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 July 2017 at 14:38, Amit Langote <langote_amit...@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>>> Seems like a good idea.

>>> Yeah, we need some refactoring work.  Is anyone working on that?
>>
>> I would like to take a shot at that if someone else hasn't already cooked
>> up a patch.  Working on making RelationGetPartitionDispatchInfo() a
>> routine callable from both within the planner and the executor should be a
>> worthwhile effort.
>
> What I am currently working on is to see if we can call
> find_all_inheritors() or find_inheritance_children() instead of
> generating the leaf_part_oids using APPEND_REL_PARTITION_OIDS().
> Possibly we don't have to refactor it completely.
> find_inheritance_children() needs to return the oids in canonical
> order. So in find_inheritance_children () need to re-use part of
> RelationBuildPartitionDesc() where it generates those oids in that
> order. I am checking this part, and am going to come up with an
> approach based on findings.

The other approach is to make canonical ordering only in
find_all_inheritors() by replacing call to find_inheritance_children()
with the refactored/modified RelationGetPartitionDispatchInfo(). But
that would mean that the callers of find_inheritance_children() would
have one ordering, while the callers of find_all_inheritors() would
have a different ordering; that brings up chances of deadlocks. That's
why I think, we need to think about modifying the common function
find_inheritance_children(), so that we would be consistent with the
ordering. And then use find_inheritance_children() or
find_all_inheritors() in RelationGetPartitionDispatchInfo(). So yes,
there would be some modifications to