On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 12:25:04PM +0200, Dmitry Dolgov wrote:
> > I think it would be good to add new catalog table. It may be named as
> pg_type_sbs or pg_subscripting (second is better I think).
> > This table may have the fields:
> > - oid
> > - sbstype
> > - sbsinit
> > - sbsfetch
> > - sbsassign
>
> What is `sbstype`?

'sbstype' is oid of type from pg_type for which subscripting is created. I.e.
pg_type may not have the 'typsubsparse' field.

> > And command 'CREATE SUBSCRIPTING' should add an entry to the
> pg_subscripting table. It also adds entries to the pg_depend table:
> dependency between pg_type and pg_subscripting, dependency between pg_type
> and pg_proc.
> > 'DROP SUBSCRIPTING' should drop this entries, it should not drop init
> function.
>
> Why we should keep those subscripting functions? From my understanding
> they're
> totally internal and useless without subscripting context.

Other similar commands do not drop related functions. For example 'DROP CAST'
do not drop a function used to perform a cast.

> It also adds entries to the pg_depend table: dependency between pg_type and
> pg_subscripting, dependency between pg_type and pg_proc.

Here was a typo from me. Last entry is dependency between pg_subscripting and
pg_proc.

--
Arthur Zakirov
Russian Postgres Company