> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.steh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> You can already set a GUC with function scope.  I'm not getting your
> >> point.
> >
> > yes, it is true. But implementation of #option is limited to PLpgSQL - so
> > there is not any too much questions - GUC is global - there is lot of
> > points:
> >
> > * what is correct impact on PREPARE
> > * what is correct impact on EXECUTE
> > * what should be done if this GUC is changed ..
>
> For better or for worse, as a project we've settled on GUCs as a way
> to control behavior.  I think it makes more sense to try to apply that
> option to new behaviors we want to control than to invent some new
> system.

I have nothing against GUC generally - just in this case, I have knowleadge
what is expected behave in plpgsql environment and I miss this knowleadge
else where, so I am thinking be good start just for plpgsql (where this
issue is mentioned often). The some plpgsql limitted implementation is not
barier against any another implementation.