Bruce,

* Bruce Momjian (br...@momjian.us) wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 01:28:11PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Tom Lane (t...@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> > >
> > > Not particularly.  You can do that sort of thing already via PAM,
> > > for example.
> >
> > Ugh, hardly and it's hokey and a huge pain to do, and only works on
> > platforms that have PAM.
> >
> > Better is to use an external authentication system (Kerberos, for
> > example) which can deal with this, but I do think this is also something
> > we should be considering for core, especially now that we've got a
> > reasonable password-based authentication method with SCRAM.
>
> Does LDAP do this too?

Active Directory does this, with Kerberos as the authentication
mechanism.  Straight LDAP might also support it, but I wouldn't
recommend it because it's really insecure as the PG server will see the
user's password in the cleartext (and it may be sent in cleartext across
the network too unless careful steps are taken to make sure that the
client only ever connects over SSL to a known trusted and verified
server).

Thanks!

Stephen