Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Yeah, but I lost the argument.  For better or worse, our expected
>> behavior is now that we throw errors.  You don't get to change that
>> just because it would save a few cycles.

> I don't know that we can consider the results of a discussion in 2006
> to be binding policy for the indefinite future.   A lot of things get
> relitigated more than once per decade on this mailing list, and if we
> know things now that we didn't know then (e.g. that one choice has a
> far more severe performance consequence than the other) that's
> reasonable justification for deciding to change our mind.

I don't like changing well-defined, user-visible query behavior for
no other reason than a performance gain (of a size that hasn't even
been shown to be interesting, btw).  Will we change it back in another
ten years if the performance tradeoff changes?

Also, if I recall the old discussion properly, one concern was getting
uniform behavior across different platforms.  I'm worried that if we do
what Andres suggests, we'll get behavior that is not only different but
platform-specific.  Now, to the extent that you believe that every modern
platform implements edge-case IEEE float behavior the same way, that worry
may be obsolete.  But I don't think I believe that.