Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@alvh.no-ip.org> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Do we still need the complication in brinsummarize to discriminate
>> against the last partial range?  Now that the lock consideration
>> is gone, I think that might be a wart.

> In the case of VACUUM, it's not desirable to create a summarization for
> the last partial range, because if the table is still being filled, that
> would slow down the insertion process.

Hm.  Okay, but you should change the comment then, because "we do not want
to spend one RelationGetNumberOfBlocks call" is a pretty weak reason.

Also, I think I would accept that argument for autovacuum, but maybe
not so much for a manual vacuum.  Maybe you should drive it off
IsAutovacuumWorker rather than which operation is being done.