On 11/1/17 06:23, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>     We need to think about how the \timing option should work in such
>     scenarios.  Right now it does

> Has the total time sense  in this case?
>
> should not be total time related to any fetched result?

The \timing option in psql measures from the time you send off the
statement until you get all the results back.  I don't see a fundamental
reason to change that if a statement happens to produce multiple
results.  The results already come over the write and are processed by
libpq.  So the time is already measured.  It's just that psql doesn't
print the non-last result sets.

We don't have any way to measure from psql how long each individual
result set took to compose.  For that you will need deeper tools like
EXPLAIN ANALYZE and some way to process that data.  That is way beyond
what \timing currently does.