On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 1:42 AM, David Steele <da...@pgmasters.net> wrote:
> On 11/7/17 11:03 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> On 5 November 2017 at 11:55, Magnus Hagander <mag...@hagander.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> So +1 for documenting the difference in how these are handled, as this is
>>> important to know for somebody writing an external tool for it.
>>
>> Changes made, moving to commit the attached patch.
>
> Thanks, Simon!  This was on my to do list today -- glad I checked my
> email first.

    <para>
+    <filename>pg_internal.init</filename> files can be omitted from the
+    backup whenever a file of that name is found.  These files contain
+    relation cache data that is always rebuilt when recovering.
+   </para>
Do we want to mention in the docs that the same decision-making is
done for *all* files with matching names, aka the fact that if a file
is listed and found in a sub-folder it is skipped? postmaster.opts or
similar friends are unlikely to be found in anything but the root of
the data folder, still the upthread argument of documenting precisely
what basebackup.c does sounded rather convincing to me.
--
Michael