On 10/27/2017 02:01 PM, Jeevan Chalke wrote:
Hi,

Attached new patch-set here. Changes include:

1. Added separate patch for costing Append node as discussed up-front in the
patch-set.
2. Since we now cost Append node, we don't need partition_wise_agg_cost_factor
GUC. So removed that. The remaining patch hence merged into main implementation
patch.
3. Updated rows in test-cases so that we will get partition-wise plans.

Thanks

I applied partition-wise-agg-v6.tar.gz patch to  the master and use shard.sh
example from https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/14577.1509723225%40localhost
Plan for count(*) is the following:

shard=# explain select count(*) from orders;
                                      QUERY PLAN
 Finalize Aggregate  (cost=100415.29..100415.30 rows=1 width=8)
   ->  Append  (cost=50207.63..100415.29 rows=2 width=8)
         ->  Partial Aggregate  (cost=50207.63..50207.64 rows=1 width=8)
               ->  Foreign Scan on orders_0 (cost=101.00..50195.13 rows=5000
width=0)
         ->  Partial Aggregate  (cost=50207.63..50207.64 rows=1 width=8)
               ->  Foreign Scan on orders_1 (cost=101.00..50195.13 rows=5000
width=0)

We really calculate partial aggregate for each partition, but to do we still
have to fetch all data from remote host.
So for foreign partitions such plans is absolutely inefficient.
Amy be it should be combined with some other patch?
For example, with  agg_pushdown_v4.tgz patch
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/14577.1509723225%40localhost ?
But it is not applied after partition-wise-agg-v6.tar.gz patch.
Also postgres_fdw in 11dev is able to push down aggregates without
agg_pushdown_v4.tgz patch.

In 0009-Teach-postgres_fdw-to-push-aggregates-for-child-rela.patch
there is the following check:

 /* Partial aggregates are not supported. */
+       if (extra->isPartial)
+           return;

If we just comment this line then produced plan will be the following:

shard=# explain select sum(product_id) from orders;
                           QUERY PLAN
 Finalize Aggregate  (cost=308.41..308.42 rows=1 width=8)
   ->  Append  (cost=144.18..308.41 rows=2 width=8)
         ->  Foreign Scan  (cost=144.18..154.20 rows=1 width=8)
               Relations: Aggregate on (public.orders_0 orders)
         ->  Foreign Scan  (cost=144.18..154.20 rows=1 width=8)
               Relations: Aggregate on (public.orders_1 orders)
(6 rows)

And it is actually desired plan!
Obviously such approach will not always work. FDW really doesn't support
partial aggregates now.
But for most frequently used aggregates: sum, min, max, count
aggtype==aggtranstype and there is no difference
between partial and normal aggregate calculation.
So instead of (extra->isPartial) condition we can add more complex check which
will traverse pathtarget expressions and
check if it can be evaluated in this way. Or... extend FDW API to support
partial aggregation.

But even the last plan is not ideal: it will calculate predicates at each
remote node sequentially.
There is parallel append patch:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJ3gD9ctEcrVUmpY6fq_JUB6WDKGXAGd70EY68jVFA4kxMbKeQ%40mail.gmail.com
but ... FDW doesn't support parallel scan, so parallel append can not be
applied in this case.
And we actually do not need parallel append with all its dynamic workers here.
We just need to start commands at all remote servers and only after it fetch
results (which can be done sequentially).

I am investigating problem of efficient execution of OLAP queries on sharded
tables (tables with remote partitions).
After reading all this threads and corresponding  patches, it seems to me
that we already have most of parts of the puzzle, what we need is to put them
on right places and may be add missed ones.
I wonder if somebody is busy with it and can I somehow help here?

Also I am not quite sure about the best approach with parallel execution of
distributed query at all nodes.
Should we make postgres_fdw parallel safe and use parallel append? How
difficult it will be?
Or in addition to parallel append we should also have "asynchronous append"
which will be able to initiate execution at all nodes?
It seems to be close to merge append, because it should simultaneously traverse
all cursors.

Looks like second approach is easier for implementation. But in case of sharded
table, distributed query may need to traverse both remote
and local shards and this approach doesn't allow to processed several local
shards in parallel.

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company