I have solved my restore problem by editing (the relevant part of) the
dump (:%s/^I\\\\N^I/^I\\\\N ^I/), a one-off solution <g>

Anyway, thanks for your investigation.

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 19:12:50 -0400, Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>it seems we have to compare the null representation string to the
>pre-debackslashing input.

Sounds reasonable, IMHO.

>  I wonder whether it would break any existing apps though.

Couldn't be worse than silently converting valid non-null values to
NULL ...

Servus
 Manfred