Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> I think an implementor would be better off using an SQL database
> underneath, and using their code layer in between to accomplish the
> "divorce" from the aspects of SQL that they disapprove of.

That is, in fact, the approach taken in a product called Dataphor
(see www.alphora.com).  They have implemented a "D"-language (called D4)
that translates into SQL and hence uses underlying SQLServer, Oracle
or DB2- DBMS'es as the engine.

It is, however, not a very easy mapping to do and you have to resort
to all sorts of unclean stuff to make it work...

regards,
Lauri Pietarinen

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend