Bruce Momjian wrote:

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

>>Well, with the CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER you _can_, but we already have >>a consensus that we don't _want_ that. Probably we should declare it >>deprecated and remove it in 7.5. And the option currently under >>discussion is exactly what will cause ALTER TABLE to let you, but IMHO >>that _should_ be restricted.

How can we ever remove it - what about people upgrading from 7.0, 7.1, 7.2? Also, people upgrading from 7.3 who've never heard of adddepend...

Not sure. We can remove documentation about it, at least.

If the idea is to support any 7.n -> 7.m (where n < m) upgrade directly, then it's IMHO time for 8.0 and clearly stating that 7.x -> 8.y only is supported as 7.x -> 7.3 -> 8.0 -> 8.y and "you're on your own with any other attempt".

Don't get this wrong, I am a big friend of easy upgrades. But I am not a big friend of making improvements impossible by "backward compatibility forever". It was the "backward compatibility" to CP/M-80 (v2.2) that caused MS-DOS 7.0 to have a maximum commandline length of 127 characters ... that was taking compatibility too far. Well, M$ took it too far the other way from there and is compatible to nothing any more, not even to themself ... but at least they learned from that mistake.

Jan

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?