True.  Btw., is there a particular value in pg_get_constraintdef always
printing double pairs of parentheses for CHECK constraints?

No, but it will require some restructuring of the code to get rid of it
safely (where "safely" is defined as "never omitting any parentheses
that *are* necessary").  For the moment I'm willing to live with the
ugliness.  You could consider pretty-printing (pass true to
pg_get_constraintdef) if you think visual appeal is better than
assured correctness.

We could check the first character of the definition, and if it isn't a left parenthesis, then we add parentheses.

Chris