Greg Stark wrote:

Thomas Zehetbauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Also will the BUG which causes postgresql to execute a sequential scan
when using min()/max()/count() ever be fixed? min()/max() can be
rewritten as SELECT $column ORDER BY $column ASC/DESC LIMIT 1 but this
should be done by the database, NOT by the user!

I would add that this is not a bug as much as a feature request. count() works. It may not be as feature
filled as we would like (e.g; it won't use an index) but it does work.

Nobody is currently working on this or planning to work on this soon. So no,
at least currently it appears this issue will not be changed. Postgresql is
open source and this is the hackers mailing list. Feel free to contribute a
patch.

Personally I think there are greater things that need to be patched versus count(). As you can implement
procedures on your own to deliver faster counts.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

+1-503-222-2783 - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org