--On Saturday, October 25, 2003 10:14:14 -0400 Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Larry Rosenman wrote:
>> After further consideration, I think that the recent patch series that
>> tried to centralize the CFLAGS handling in configure should be
>> reverted to configure.in revision 1.293.  Otherwise, it's much to
>> complicated to handle all the special cases.  There is, after all, a
>> reason we have been forced to keep it this way all these years.
>
> Remember the old code had CFLAGS="" in lots of platforms, meaning they
> got no optimization.
>
> It seems right now Alpha is our only problem, and it is really just a
> message problem because the later flags override the earlier ones.  Why
> can't get just remove -O2 from the alpha CFLAGS line via makefile
> magic? Frankly, we could just do CFLAGS="-O" and be done with it
> because we would not be bringing in the -O2, but I would rather keep
> it clean and remove just -O2.
We also get -g on UnixWare cc (NOT gcc) builds, which we didn't before,
which means we do NOT get optimization (UnixWare's cc doesn't like
-O and -g together).

We are going to fix that, but what happens? Does the compile fail or does optimization just get turned off?
just a warning on each compile and no optimization.

LER

-- Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us [EMAIL PROTECTED] | (610) 359-1001 + If your life is a hard drive, | 13 Roberts Road + Christ can be your backup. | Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

-- Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler Phone: +1 972-414-9812 E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] US Mail: 1905 Steamboat Springs Drive, Garland, TX 75044-6749