Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Anthony W. Youngman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

Really, however you calculate it, it is an order of magnitude less
than your alternative.

And please don't tell me that using indexes is not fair or not in the spirit of the
relational model ;-)

Well, it does result in data being stored multiple times ;-)

And while it maybe doesn't affect the result that much, you wanted the
value? Where has that come from? What if the price changed half way
through the period you're calculating? :-) You've failed to answer your
own question, so maybe I could match you ...

Whoops - sorry - I did notice after I wrote this that you included price in your index.

OK!

But it does seem strange indexing on a composite field
like that ...

But why does it seem strange?

regards,
Lauri