ivan wrote:

you can also patch your kernel and when you write cat /etc/passwd system
give you only your line , whitout any others users, so exacly what you
need ,
in pgsql i think that users dont need to know about others , and also
them
databases, i call it security :)

No, it's not security, it is obscurity. The point is that this modification is not backward compatible and the only scenario I can imagine where it would be good to have this is for a hosting provider who want's to cram up multiple hosted databases under one postmaster.

I am not per se against such change. It never striked me as a good idea in general that we only have the one, shared pg_shadow catalog and all databases share all users. So I think what I try to say is ... back to the drawing board, because your initial solution is not acceptable.

Jan

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Jan Wieck wrote:

ivan wrote:

> hi
>
> can we change initdb when view pg_user is createing to :
>
> CREATE VIEW pg_user AS \
>     SELECT \
>         usename, \
>         usesysid, \
>         usecreatedb, \
>         usesuper, \
>         usecatupd, \
>         '********'::text as passwd, \
>         valuntil, \
>         useconfig \
>     FROM pg_shadow WHERE usename = SESSION_USER;

No, at least not without a complete proposal how to retain the current
behaviour of pg_tables, pg_views, psql's \d and other places that rely
on pg_user being able to display all users.

It's the same thing with your /etc/passwd. chmod o-rwx /etc/passwd will
hide the usernames but break many utilities. If you don't want someone
to know all the logins, don't give him one.

Jan

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not match