Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD wrote:

My plan is to create another background process very similar to the checkpointer and to let that run forever basically looping over that BufferSync() with a bool telling that it's the bg_writer.

Why not use the checkpointer itself inbetween checkpoints ? use a min and a max dirty setting like Informix. Start writing when more than max are dirty stop when at min. This avoids writing single pages (which is slow, since it cannot be grouped together by the OS).

Current approach is similar ... if I strech the IO and syncing over the entire 150-300 second checkpoint interval, grouping in 50 pages then sync()+nap, the system purr's pretty nice and without any peaks.

Jan

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?