Tom Lane wrote:

Using tableoid instead of tablename avoids renaming problems, but makes the names horribly opaque IMNSHO.

Agreed. I think using the OIDs would be a horrible choice.

As a point of reference Oracle uses a naming convention of 'Cnnnn' where nnnn is a sequence generated unique value. So in Oracle system generated names are very opaque. I never saw this as a problem, since if you wanted a non-opaque name you could always assign one yourself.

--Barry