Confirmed, that's a bug - pgsql-hackers CC'd and scipt for full reproduction attached.

This can also be reproduced in 7.4-beta5.

My guess out of the blue would be, that the rewriter expands the insert into one insert with the where clause, one update with the negated where clause. Executed in that order, they are both true ... first there is no such row, the insert happens, second the row exists and is being updated.

IIRC the refint trigger queue run at the end of the whole statement tries to heap_fetch() the originally inserted tuple, which is invisible by that time. I seem to remember that the original version did fetch them with some snapshot override mode to get it anyway and fire the trigger. That apparently does not happen any more, so now the duty would be up to the on update refint trigger which ... er ... recently got fixed not to check non-changed key references any more ... duh.

I will look a bit deeper into it later tonight. I think if we let the on update refint trigger check the referenced key again if the old tuple has xmin = current_xid we should be fine.

Thanks for reporting, Michele. In the meantime, you might want to use a BEFORE INSERT trigger in PL/pgSQL that tries to UPDATE the row and if GET DIAGNOSTICS tells it it succeeded, returns NULL to suppress the INSERT. That should work around the bug for the time being.

Jan