On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 04:24:25PM -0500, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:

> I don't want to add tables to existing databases, as I consider that
> clutter and I never like using tools that clutter my production
> databases.  [...]
>
> Actually, this might be a necessary addition as pg_autovacuum currently
> suffers from the startup transients that the FSM used to suffer from,
> that is, it doesn't remember anything that happened the last time it
> ran.  A pg_autovacuum database could also be used to store thresholds
> and counts from the last time it ran.

You could use the same approach the FSM uses: keep a file with the data,
PGDATA/base/global/pg_fsm.cache.  You don't need the data to be in a table
after all ...

--
Alvaro Herrera (<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
Essentially, you're proposing Kevlar shoes as a solution for the problem

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend