On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, E.Rodichev wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > "E.Rodichev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > /e:2>createdb test
> >
> > >  test      | er       | SQL_ASCII   <----- Incorrect!
> > > (3 rows)
> >
> > > Let's note than the last line is in fact completely incorrect.
> >
> > What's incorrect about it?  You didn't ask for any other encoding
> > than SQL_ASCII.
>
> It is incorrect, because database "test" is, really, in KOI8, NOT in SQL_ASCII
> in this example, as I explained in my mail.

No, it isn't. As far as PostgreSQL is concerned the database is SQL_ASCII
since you didn't override the default encoding at initdb time or at
createdb time.  You did choose LC_ values that seem to want KOI8, but
locale and encoding are separate, if you want KOI8 encoding, you have to
say so.

               http://archives.postgresql.org