Frank Wiles wrote:

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 07:15:41 -0800 (PST)
Ivelin Ivanov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Has this subject been discussed before?
I did not find any references to it in the archives.

I think that a co-bundle between an open source J2EE
container like JBoss and a scalable database like
PostgreSQL will be a blast.

There are several well performing comercial Java dbs
out there and there is Hypersonic which is free and
fast, but supports only READ_UNCOMMITED and is build
to grow up to ~200MB.

This would be a huge undertaking, rewriting PostgreSQL entirely in Java.

Very true. I just did a rough count and founs about 510,000 lines of code in .c and .h files in the source distribution.

Not to mention it would kill PostgreSQL's current speedy performance!

Maybe, maybe not. Modern JVMs have much better performance characteristics than was once the case. Also, some of the things that Java buys you (memory management, threading, for example) might actually enhance performance in some circumstances. A crude port wouldn't work, though - it would have to be done in such a way as to leverage the platform's strengths, just as we leverage the strengths of writing in C.

The *big* problem would be keeping a Java port in sync with the base. That would make it almost impossible to do in a worthwhile way IMNSHO - the maintenance would be a nightmare.

It would be an excellent student exercise, though :-)

As a Java programmer, I do agree that having a pure Java RDBMS system would be a Good Thing (tm), and the PostgreSQL code base might be an excellent place to start creating such a monster :-).

cheers

andrew

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [EMAIL PROTECTED])