Tom Lane wrote:

"Dave Page" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

gcc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wmissing-declarations prod -I../../src/include -D_GNU_SOURCE
-I/usr/include -c -o path.o path.c
gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations

How is "prod" getting into that command line? I suspect it's coming from an environment variable like PROFILE or CFLAGS ...

Is there a case for making Makefile/shell variables and defines we use have less generic names? I know I encountered a problem on Windows when doing initdb because it defines one of BINDIR/DATADIR (I forget which). It took me ages to find out what was going on, and I fixed it by prepending the variable (in this case a define) with "PG"

cheers

andrew

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster