Hello,

An quicker option would be to use rsync (on a stopped database of course). You can rsync to a new directory (off the filesystem) and then reformat the data filesystem and move it back.

Somasekhar Bangalore wrote:

Hi,

I too had the same problem; There was one query which used to take a very long time. What I did was, I took a backup of the whole database. Reinstalled postgres on a different mount point and restored the data back into the new database. Now my queries are running faster. Try it. All the very best.

Somasekhar

-----Original Message----- From: Jaime Casanova [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 3:07 AM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: [GENERAL][ADMIN][HACKERS]data fragmentation

Hi,

i have a theorical question. i was thought that data fragmentation can cause
loss of performance when retrieving data from a database. Some DBMS solved
this
with dbspaces, but postgresql doesn't support this concept.
so, pgsql databases tend to suffer from data fragmentation?
if yes, what is the solution you recommend?

also i was thought that even when DBMS support dbspaces DELETEing records
may
cause data fragmentation anyway.
so, can i think of DELETE statement as a double-edged sword?
it is indifferent in pgsql - it doesn't support dbspaces anyway?

thanks in advance,
Jaime Casanova (el_vigia)