Hannu Krosing wrote:
> IIRC, the charset transformations are done as a separate step in the
> wire protocol _before_ any parser has chance transform or not.

Yep.  My point is that this is wrong.  I think of XML the same way I
think of a zip file contains a text document.  Postgres does not unzip a
text file to change the char encoding any more than it should parse an
XML document and change the encoding unless this is the specific intent
of the user for a specific purpose.

Validation alone does not qualify as a reason because a XML parser
(xerces) can do validation server-side without mucking with document.
Postgres need only be aware of the fact that the data is XML and should
be validated.

If postgres needs to be aware of internal document contents (for
indexing, for example), XSLT can be used for that purpose.

Regards,
Merlin