Lamar Owen wrote:
On Saturday 13 March 2004 10:36 am, Fernando Nasser wrote:

The problem is that sysloging has more overhead than a plain append to a
file.  There are some very strict response time AppServer applications
where we want to keep this things out of the picture.

Well, I have a couple of ideas on that. First, a better syslog. SDSC secure syslog has been available for some time and is BSD licensed, and is specifically designed for high-performance RFC3195 compliant secure syslog.

I hope someone in the OS group is watching it. I will ask.

Second, if the syslog server is separate, then you might get better performance as the size of the logs grow, since appending a very large file is slower than generating an IP datagram.

It may be. It takes some effort to convince customers to change their practices though. I will try to set up something like this next time we run benchmarks and see if there is any noticeable change in the results.

Third, it seems that you don't have enough profiling data to support a 'syslog is bad' position.

That is true. It is from hearsay, from people who run production environments. It may be a belief based on old experiences though. If someone had real up-to-date reliable numbers maybe we could use it as an argument to the users.

Java is bad too, from a performance standpoint (at this time, at least, you always get a performance hit of some kind using any portable code).

Actually, this is increasingly less noticeable. With just in time compilation or pre-compiled code (like with GNU gcj) it is a one time hit or not even that.

But if this AppServer is based on the ArsDigita Java codebase, you have other performance issues already (the Tcl codebase, OTOH, is very fast, partly because AOLserver is a faster appserver than most Java appservers).).

No, it is based on ObjectWeb JOnAS (Java Open Source Application Server). The Servelet Container is Tomcat and the database is PostgreSQL (it also works with Oracle, DB2, MySQL, etc.).

The other problem is that we have some nice graphical tools for
configuring logging but the /etc/syslog.conf is a very hard one to
automate dur to the pattern matching.  We can add some lines there, like
one to get local0 to a specific file, but it will probably be guesswork
and require human inspection anyway.

Control Center looks promising. But I much prefer having a central syslog server than having each server in a cluster having separate logs.

There are certain advantages with doing it that way and I guess some customers will indeed do it. I believe you can very well set up logging to a centralized syslog with Control Center (if not please open a buf report).

It may be desirable to logrotate them at different times as well, so
they would have to be in different files.

Different facilities can then go to different files. The problem, of course, is syslog's limited number of facilities.

If not used for other things, maybe 8 would be a good enough number.

Or you'll have to include some other log rotator.

That is what Tom is proposing.

I am not opposed to including a small logrotator for stderr logging. I just think it is redundant when a good highly configurable logging facility already exists. But, if Red Hat wants to pay Tom to do it... :-)

Maybe it is a question of preference or what is more convenient depends on the specific circunstances of the installation. I would prefer to give the option to the users, if possible.

Cheers, Fernando