Tom Lane wrote:
Karel Zak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

The formatting function API can be pretty simple:
text *my_copy_format(text *attrdata, int direction, int nattrs, int attr, oid attrtype, oid relation)

This seems like it could only reasonably be implemented as a C function.
I can't really imagine the average user of COPY wanting to write C in
preference to, say, an external perl script.  What's the real use-case
for the feature?

That is why I suggested providing a pre-written/pre-compiled/installed function for CSV (call it CSV?). Advanced users could still write their own as people can write many other things if they know their ways.