Greg Stark wrote:
I'm leaning towards suggesting that postgres should follow sql-99 here and
normalize all array indexes to have a lower bound of 1. Then array_lower and
array_upper become entirely unnecessary. Instead we just have array_length
which is exactly equivalent to my idea of array_upper.

Now we finally have something to agree on ;-)

I do think this is the way to go, but it is a significant hit to backward compatibility. Same is true for supporting NULL elements of arrays -- maybe we should bite the bullet and make both changes at the same time?

Joe