I tracked the problem down to the "penalty" function used to build the tree. Basically, it compares the area of the bounding boxes.

There wasnt enough precision in the area calculations - instead of giving 0.0 it would give numbers in the[+-]10^-6 range. This really screwed up how the tree was being built.

I cast the float to doubles when calculating area, and it all works well now.

dave