On Thursday 22 April 2004 13:55, Barry Lind wrote:
> I think the solution lies in improving www.postgresql.org.  At the end
> of the day it doesn't matter where source code lives, what matters is
> can people find what they are expecting.  Given we know what people are
> looking for, that should be front and center on the web site and the ftp
> sites.

But of course that solution always stalls out when it comes down to picking
which projects get the special treatment of direct links from the main
website and which ones stay out of the spotlight. With JDBC you might make
the case that the comparable solutions are commercial code (though I suspect
some of the commercial distributors might argue that) but with things like
admin programs it gets even fuzzier as there are a whole slew of those
available as open source projects.  If we include them all then we're back to
square one, but I've never seen anyone eager to make the decision of which
apps are "best" nor anyone terrible willing to let someone else make that
decision either.

BTW It's not that I am against the idea (if you haven't seen it, check out
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/ for one implementation), it's just that it's
a radical departure from "the way things have always been done" and I'm not
confident that there would be enough support to make the changes.

Robert Treat